Friday, June 5, 2009

Appeal week for Autism New Zealand

Tomorrow Morning Amy and I will be collecting for an hour in the lobby at New World Nelson for Autism New Zealand for their annual appeal. I wasn't going to take her originally but now my husbands working so she'll be coming along for the ride. I think she'll quite enjoy having a wee "job" to do in the morning. I didn't mean for her to be a poster-child for autism - I certainly hope people don't see it that way. She is simply helping me collect money for a very good cause.

All I can say as a parent of a child with ASD is that Autism New Zealand is one incredible organisation. Our daughter was only diagnosed in August last year yet in that time we've utilised a lot that Autism New Zealand offers. Earlier this year my husband and I did a day-long course together for just $30pp that was incredible. Understanding the Autistic Spectrum: Implications for Learning was a great introduction to the autism spectrum and how those on it learn differently. I did the Introduction to Advanced Strategies for Autism Spectrum Disorders which went into things in more depth. It was also excellent.

These courses run by Celeste Littek are highly benefical and essential (in my eyes) to educators - those who teach children on the autism spectrum. Autism New Zealand needs money so these courses that are run annually around the country can continue. Without them our children are in danger of being misunderstood and perceived as the badly-behaved children that they have in the past.

There are another half a dozen courses run by Autism New Zealand which are all benefical to parents, family, extended family care-givers and educators.

I go to the local support meetings here in Nelson which are held monthly - something else supported by Autism New Zealand. I'm only a newbie on the block but I'm already grateful for the networks I'm starting to form - nothing is as valuable as connecting with other parents with children with ASD. I truly look forward to these monthly meetings.

When I took Amy to the paedaetrician initially and she got her ASD diagnosis; I was given an A4 sized booklet from Autism New Zealand full of a heap of information. It was a very useful resource and opened up this new world of autism without me having to research too much myself.

I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface with what Autism New Zealand do. All I know is they are an amazing charity - please support them if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment