Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gluten-free progress

I went food shopping today - the second shop since deciding to get Amy on to a gluten-free diet. Although there are some gluten-free products to choose from at our regular supermarket; not all of them are liked by Amy. She likes her Cocoa Bombs cereal (which is good because we've always struggled with getting cereal into her) but hasn't liked any of the gluten-free bread I've bought thus far (rice bread last week and corn bread this week). Interestingly, she's not too keen on any kind of bread at the moment. So lunch seems to be comprised of popcorn, pineapple pieces and luncheon sausage.

I made some gluten-free pancakes in the weekend which turned out really well. However a couple of attempts at baking cookies kinda flopped. I am a WIP in using gluten-free flour - getting the consistency right is a bit of a challenge.

I got three books out of the library on Monday to do with gluten-free cooking. One is a New Zealand book crammed with recipes. I have three recipes I will try this week, all going well.

I'm still half-hearted about taking dairy completely out of Amy's diet. But I've stopped buying her special kids yoghurt, we haven't had cheese for a week and she's been on lactose-free milk for a week. I do buy icecream over the Summer and stopped buying it a few weeks back for home but she's been missing it a bit. So she and I did treat ourselves to an icecream each at the mall today.

I made burgers for tea last night and we had kumaru chips instead of oven-baked chips (which are coated in wheat-flour). Amy wasn't happy about that and asked where her "yellow chips" were - she refused to eat the kumaru ones. I gave her a bun but she ate the bit with butter on it and that's about it. Incidentally I bought some rice bran oil spread this week which no-one seems to mind. I can see there are going to be a lot of hit and misses around this subtle dietary change I'm trying to introduce.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Amy's constipation issues are not helped by her intake of gluten. She hasn't had any supermarket cookies for a week - only Mums gluten-free cookies that have mainly flopped, and has eaten hardly any bread. There is no evidence of any kind of improvement so far yet it has only been a few days yet I think we are on the right track though so I will keep persisting.

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking of starting that too for my three year old son who is diagnosed with Autism recently. I have an appointment with a DAN doctor next week, Did you consult a DAN Dr before this diet?
    Unfortunately our insurance doesn't cover the visit and the tests for this, so it will be expensive.

    ReplyDelete